A Few Qualifications
greg goebel / follow "gvgoebel" on twitter
* I tend to get a lot of the same questions repeatedly, so over time I've
gradually accumulated a set of useful comments and answers to simplify
matters for all concerned:
- DANGEROUS EMAIL: All executable attachments to messages are
automatically discarded on the rationale that they could very well be
things like viruses, trojan horses, hard disk bombs, and other malevolent
software. I think everyone can agree this a reasonable precaution.
- OVERSIZED EMAIL: All messages over 100 KB in size are automatically
blocked and deleted, in order to prevent people from doing things like,
say ... sending me high-resolution pictures of pieces of scrap metal and
clogging my mailer. (Yes, believe it or not, I have had people do this to
me, though I can't say I understand why.) 100 KB is a plenty big limit,
it's about equivalent to 40 pages of printed text. If you want to send me
something bigger, please discuss it with me first.
- ANONYMOUS EMAIL: I don't answer it. That includes email using some
sort of handle instead of a name. After all, if nobody sent me the
message ... there's nobody to answer.
- WHO I AM: I'm a freelance writer who is not running a business. I am
also strictly an amateur and, in general, have no real professional
standing or qualifications in any of the subjects I write about. Please
consider your inquiries accordingly.
- LIMITATIONS: In general, if I have written a document on a subject, it
represents about as much as I know about the subject. When I learn
more, I update the document accordingly. I also do not have archives of
photographs or other illustrations beyond those I have posted to the site.
As the old snappy pop tune put it: "What you see is what you get."
- ASSISTANCE: I am very happy to answer questions relative to or provide
clarification for the documents on my site. Please do not send me
homework, troubleshooting problems, codes to decipher (or "inspect"), and
so on so I can solve them for you. I have more things to do than time
to do them. You will find a great deal of information on this site that
will help you solve such problems, and if you need some help on that
information I can assist.
- SCHEDULES FOR FUTURE WORK: I sometimes get emails from people wanting
to know why I haven't written up a particular famous aircraft, or the
like. The answer is simple: "Writeups require work and I haven't got to
the one you're after yet." The following question is to ask when I will
get around to it. The answer is: "Hopefully someday, but I don't have a
date." I have found it unwise to give any promises for when I will
get anything done and as a matter of policy I do not do so.
- SOURCES: If you're curious about the sources for the documents on this
site, they're listed at the end of each document (for all but a very few
documents). For multiple-chapter documents, the list of sources is at the
end of the last chapter; you can use the "Index" link to get the table of
contents and then scroll down to the last link. If you're after copies of
sources, I'm not in a legal position to provide them. If you are after
further sources, those listed are all I know about.
- PAGE COLORS & FONTS: I made a conscious decision when I established
this site that I would emphasize content and take a minimalist attitude
toward cosmetics. In particular, the pages on this site do not specify
colors or fonts, and so what readers will see are their browser defaults.
However, in most web browsers, it is easy to set colors and fonts
to one's own satisfaction.
- ILLUSTRATIONS: All illustrations on this site credited to me with "GVG
/ PD" are public domain and free for all use. If they are not labeled
"GVG / PD", they are not public domain. Most of the non-public domain
pictures are credited; if you want authorization or high-resolution
copies, you will need to contact the credited source. Illustrations
marked with an "*" are not credited because I don't know where they came
from -- I'm taking my chances on them, and having no rights to them myself
I cannot provide any rights to anyone else.
- PERMISSIONS: All illustrations and images credited to me are
public domain. I reserve all rights to my writings. However, if anyone
does want to make use of my writings, just contact me, and we can chat
about it. I'm lenient in giving permissions.
- EXCHANGING LINKS: I do maintain a list of links. No obligation is
implied or even contemplated that any site I link to link back to this
site, and I do not request links from other sites. I used to have a
policy of simply providing a link to anyone who requested it, but the
rising tide of "link exchange spam" rendered this policy impractical and I
no longer accept link exchange requests.
- RELIGION: Although this site may refer to religions in a descriptive
fashion and mention their doctrines, the site neither endorses nor
criticizes religion. I have little interest in religious disputes, find
such arguments tiresome, and will not engage in them.
- BLOCKING: I block out "hotlinking" -- if you want to use the
public-domain illustrations on this site, feel free to download and repost
them, or if you prefer hotlink the entire page.
- WEBSITE HOSTING: I have had people ask me to host their materials on
this site, but I'm not actually in the website hosting business. There
are many service providers who will give you a small website for free, and
if you want more capability they can provide it to you at very modest
If you have requests for:
- Industry, military, government, or academic CONTACTS for any topic.
- Contacts or leads for aircraft-related organizations.
- Contacts or leads on any organizations, for that matter.
- Histories or whereabouts of specific aircrew or other personnel.
- Histories or whereabouts of specific military units.
- Histories or whereabouts of individual aircraft.
- Aircraft (or other) BLUEPRINTS and schematics.
- Aircraft (or other) manuals or detailed engineering specs.
- Identification or description of aircraft piece parts or the like.
- Purchase or sale of aircraft of any sort.
- Purchase or sale of aircraft (or other) parts and services.
- Purchase or sale of anything, for that matter.
- Where anything on this list might be found.
-- I can give the answers right away: don't have them / don't know / no clue
/ and so on. Honestly, I don't know these things -- I'm not lying, I
really don't, and I have no particular idea of where to find out about them.
I could of course look such things up on a search engine, but it would be
more effective and sensible to try a search engine yourself. If you still
absolutely insist on sending me such queries anyway -- please people,
it's not productive. It's not. Trust me.